Unicamp is committed to providing a safe and welcoming seasonal camp and spiritual retreat to a diverse community. We all contribute to this cooperative, so please volunteer your skills where they are needed and advise staff of any repairs or work that needs to be done. While you are in our community, we ask that you read and abide by the following regulations:
- In the event of a lost camper or fire, you will hear a siren sounding from the office. Proceed immediately to the parking lot for further instructions from staff.
- If an accident has occurred at the waterfront, you will hear an air horn blast. If you are a capable swimmer/canoeist, please proceed to the beach, if not, proceed to the parking lot.
- Air horns are located in Admin and in Emergency Kits at both beaches.
- If you believe that someone is missing or there is a fire, please let Admin know ASAP and/or sound the air horn.
- Swim at your own risk.
- Always swim with a buddy (no swimming alone) and never swim or boat at night.
- Children under 16 at the pond must be supervised by a responsible adult who must be in the same area as them at all times, eg. The adult cannot be at the rafts or swimming out in the pond. Children swimming to the rafts or tower alone must be able to do so without assistance devices, i.e. life jackets, noodles, etc. Children using assistance devices to reach the rafts or tower must be accompanied by a responsible adult at all times.
- Life jackets and swim suits must be worn in boats.
- In the event someone is struggling in the water, use the paddle boards (which are for rescue use only). If you need help, sound the air horn.
- No glass on beaches.
- During Children’s Camps and Junior Youth Week, clothing must be worn on both beaches.
- Please do not use detergents, soap, shampoo (even bio-degradable) in the pond.
- Do not dock canoes at the diving tower, the rafts or at Bob’s beach.
- Only 3 people on the tower and 1 on the tower ladder at a time.
- Please help to control erosion by not making rivers or throwing sand.
- Campfires are restricted to the existing fire pits and must be attended at all times. Make sure they are “dead out” before you leave.
- If the season is unusually dry, it may be necessary to restrict use.
- All buildings have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.
No harassment or abuse of any kind will be tolerated. If you encounter any situations where you find yourself uncomfortable with someone’s words or actions, please address that person directly, and if appropriate, please report it to the Camp Director.
Unicamp’s sexual harassment policy is strictly enforced.
Limit 1 car per campsite. All other vehicles are to be parked in the parking lot. Do not drive near buildings or on the common.
Please dress appropriately. Nudity and partial nudity is only allowed on Bob’s beach.
Smoking is allowed at your campsite fire pit and at the three communal fire pits and nowhere else. Please be considerate.
Alcohol and Illegal Drugs
Underage drinking/illegal drug use is not permitted. Discrete alcohol consumption is appreciated.
Peace and quiet
Amplified music is only permitted at dances or in program. Quiet hour is from 11pm
Lost and Found
Located in Admin. Note that we donate unclaimed items frequently. Please leave valuables at home.
Pets are not permitted. Please do not feed the feral cats or any other wildlife.
Please keep your site, cabin or cottage tidy and clean up before you leave.
Generally at 8:30am, 12:30pm and 6:30pm. Two bells are rung – a 15-minute “Kitchen Prep” warning bell, and one when the meal is ready.
Store all food in animal-proof containers as animals will break into tents, trailers and open vehicles. Freezer space is available to keep or make ice for your cooler.
- Please take your garbage and recycling home with you.
- Our compost pits are on the path to the pump house, near the outhouse at the pond and near the outhouse at the new forest.
Spiritual and Program Centre
- Please check out our Spiritual and Program Centre for games, art supplies and books, where children must be supervised at all times.
- Consult with Admin for information and guidelines on caves, walkie talkies and maps.
- All are welcome to join the camp circle at 5:30pm (most days) outside the Spiritual Centre.
An informal UU service is held at 11am near the Spiritual Centre most Sundays. Let us know if you would like to participate!